Lentil and Rice Loaf
Cook Time: 2 hrs.
Prep Time: 25 minutes Serves: 6-10
Ingredients: 1 ¾ cups water ½ cup dry/uncooked brown-green lentils ½ cup dry/uncooked short-grain brown rice 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning 1 teaspoon granulated onion 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped 5 medium white button mushrooms, chopped 1 large rib celery, sliced 1 tablespoon freshly chopped garlic (4 to 5 cloves) ½ cup old-fashioned rolled ¼ cup flax seed meal 1 can tomato paste (6 ounces) 2 ounces walnuts, chopped 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme 1 ½ teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
Directions: 1. Place the water, lentils, rice, poultry seasoning, and granulated onion into a medium saucepan over high heat. When it begins to boil, reduce the heat to low then cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes with the lid still on. (Prepare your remaining ingredients while the rice and lentils are cooking.)
2. Place 1 tablespoon of water into a medium frying pan over high heat. When the water starts to sputter, add the chopped onion, mushrooms, and celery, and cook while stirring for 3-5 minutes, adding water as needed.
Add the garlic and stir for 2 min. more until the vegetables have softened. Remove from heat.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard size loaf pan (9x5x3 inches) with parchment paper.
4. Place the oats, tomato paste, and nuts into a large bowl. Add the fresh herbs to the bowl. When the cooked vegetables, rice, and lentils have cooled for at least 10 minutes, add them to the bowl, and stir until all of the ingredients have been mixed thoroughly.
5. Place half of the mixture into a food processor. Pulse about three times then scrape down the sides. Pulse another three times until evenly blended but still somewhat chunky, then spoon into loaf pan. Place the remaining half of the mixture into the food processor and pulse in the same way. Press the mixture firmly and evenly into the pan.
6. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and cook for 40 minutes, remove foil and cool for another 15-20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.